Friday, February 15, 2013

"Forever And Ever, Amen"

You may think that I’m talking foolish
You've heard that I’m wild and I’m free...


  You know it, Randy Travis!  A week's vacation is here!  I know of a bunch of colleagues who are going about Spain, a couple that is going to Thailand, some buddies who are bouncing around Morocco and the list goes on.  Me?  (sheepish look)  I have no big plans this coming week, maybe a couple of day trips.  Casa has the only Jewish museum in the Arab world, and it's only open during business hours.  My roomie and I want to go to that.  A round of golf, perhaps.  Probably play things by ear, get some rest.  Last month has been crazy busy.  I'm getting old.

I'm no longer one of those guys...
They say time takes its toll on a body...

  Kid says to me about 1 pm today while I am doing lunch duty outside: "Race me".  I beg off, pointing out I'm not dressed appropriately.  Then I take off when he's not paying attention for a split second.  The mind is willing.  Another kid says to me in class about 2 pm: "Mister, are you crying"?  I raise my head, and say, no, it's just my back.  The body isn't willing. 
  At least I managed to get to, and through, a dentist appointment on Monday.  I'd kill for our school nurse and her assistant.  They get me drugs, make appointments for me, point me toward people and places.  I'd be in a world of trouble if it weren't for them.  Made it to, and through, a dentist appointment on Monday that was set up for me.  Wasn't easy to find.  Google maps didn't acknowledge the existance of the street and cabbies were no better.  I improvised a successful plan to get there, and got there early even.  Score one for the good guys.
  The dentist was a nice lady, and fortunately spoke pretty good English.  Would you believe she did the cleaning, and not a hygienist?  I later learned that in Morocco there is no such thing as a hygienist.  Only a dentist is permitted to handle instruments of the trade.  Next up is a trip to the lab to get a phlebotomy and some blood testing done.  Love the convenience of having a school doctor around who can write you a scrip when you need one.

They say time can play tricks on a memory
Make people forget things they knew
Well it's easy to see it's happenin to me...


  I've said it before, I'll say it again - when did I get old?  The first 3 years I worked at a NJ public high, in my late 20s, I was the youngest member of the 80-odd teachers.  I talk to some of these "kids" I work with and often make the mistake of looking back to when I was in their shoes and the world was my oyster and wishing to God that I could turn back the clock.  Where in the hell did the last decade go, and where do I go to get it back?!
  When I met with my boss earlier this week to discuss my thoughts on returning in the fall, my role, and the like, I found myself flashing back to some points in the last 6 months, when I didn't think I was going to make it, when I thought I was going to fall again.  I've felt a lot more comfortable of late.  I can look and envision a successful end to this year, and a better one next year.  I was asked to make a 2-year commitment when I was offered a job year, and I intend to honor that commitment.
  There is one thing that bothers me, though.  There is a nagging part of me that says I don't have another year to waste here, because I don't have that many years left.   There is a part of me that constantly haunts me that is convinced that I have far too many years behind of me than in front of me.  I wish I knew what is normal in terms of looking at your mortality.  I'm 44 now, well ahead of my statistical halfway point.  But 44 can't be old?  But 7-1/2 years ago I got way-too-close to death.  Am I living on borrowed time?  I don't want to even think about what lies ahead, or doesn't.

Just listen to how this song ends...
Forever and ever, amen

1 comment:

  1. Jack you have many more years ahead of you,look at me I'm 65 and i don't look at my mortality,enjoy everything you have and the good health.

    ReplyDelete