Saturday, February 2, 2013

"Chicken Fried"

You know I like my chicken fried
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up...


  Actually, my chicken was stir-fried for Friday's lunch, and there's no booze up in here (because my roomie drank all of the wine).  I'm wearing jeans, but they a bit loose.  At least the radio is up!  That is, I'm listening to my music through the computer; I'm not much for the Arabic tunes I'm subjected to on taxi rides.  Though, you can hear American popular music here.  That's what the kids listen to on their IPhones.  They find it amusing I don't have a cell phone here.  But I generally don't need one.  Except for watching some live sporting events (when the +5 hour time difference isn't too much of a factor) I don't at all miss not having a TV.  My laptop is my lifeline.  As long as I can read up on what's going on in the world and keep in touch with everyone back home, it's all good...

  I had just started this post last night when the Internet conked out.  Unfortunately, this is not uncommon here.  I'm having a little problem with my camera, but that will soon be fixed.  Today's post won't be the longest one.  One chock-full of pics will be coming in a couple of weeks.  And next Sunday's post will be a very special one, I can promise.  On this sunny Saturday morning in Casa ( temp to hit mid-60s :) I just wanna ramble on a little...

  I always keep a little notepad and pen with me.  At work it helps me to not forget any one of a million things that are constantly popping up, like that Whack-a-Mole game on the Boardwalk down the shore.  I also jot things down when something catches my attention that I think may be of interest when I write posts and week's end.

  Being from New Jersey, I know all about traffic circles!  Of course, in recent years the State has been re-engineering or eliminating them.  I just read an article this past week that now the idea is to put in roundabouts.  Apparently, they are far more safe than circles.  6 months ago I wouldn't have had a clue exactly what a roundabout was.  I sure do now.  They are all over Casablanca.  It took a little getting used to; I have to drive them the opposite of how I was taught to drive a circle, even though they don't look at all appreciably different from one another.  Makes driving in this metropolis even more entertaining, heaven help me.

  Next year, I may not even be driving at all.  I'm strongly considering living in the city.  Anyone who knows me well just fell out of their chair.  I like my work commute (about 250 feet), being surrounded by fields of cows and sheep and looking from my balcony at the ocean.  I would also like everything I need and want to do in the city to be within walking distance or a short cab ride away.  After hours, getting a taxi ride from the city to my place just outside the city's edge isn't possible.  One of these days, accepting a ride from a stranger isn't going to work out well.

  If you can't believe I'd choose to live in an urban area, you may not to read on.  I'm actually getting into soccer.  I haven't accepted an invite to play pickup (sorry, David) but as a huge fan of sports in general and seeing people play it around me ALL THE TIME, I'm coming to be able to see and appreciate certain things.  I knew when Morocco was playing Angola, Cape Verde and South Africa in the African Cup the last 2 weeks, and even saw a little of the big Barcelona-Real Madrid semifinal of the Copa del Rey the other day.

  Scholastic basketball and soccer games were played here last week.  GO MUSTANGS!  It shouldn't have caught my eye by now, but I still took notice of the young woman hoopster from another school wearing a hijab (headscarf), longsleeve tee and leggings with her b-ball uniform.  An interesting mix of conservative Islam meets 21st century athletic garb.  She played guard.  She didn't have to concern herself, as a big man would, with the wider, trapezoidal lane characteristic of the "international" game, as an American would say.  I hate it!

  A final sports note: I was invited with other expats to the U.S. Consulate for a Super Bowl party.  Why am I going when the game kicks off at 11:30 and runs til 4?  How often do I get to go to a U.S. Consulate?  Especially when the party is at Villa Mirador, the building on the property where Winston Churchill stayed when he met with with FDR during the wartime Casablanca Conference in January of'43.  I'm going!  Go Eagles!  Oh...

  Well, it's 5 am for you all back home, so I'll let you catch a few more Zs.  Bonne journee! 

Its funny how it`s the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive / or the price tag on your clothes
There`s no dollar sign on a piece of mind / this I`ve come to know...

1 comment: