Friday, September 7, 2012

"If you don't eat your meat...

...you can't have any pudding.  How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"  Sorry - just was in the mood to continue the Pink Floyd theme from last week.  I had Indian food from scratch tonite for dinner - cost for chicken Tikka wrap, side salad and a can of Coke Zero cost less than $7US.  Adjacent Thai place I hear good things about - think I know where I'm having dinner next Friday.  Alright, Jack, get your mind off food!
By necessity, I always carry a lil notepad with me to scribble notes as I mega-multi-task thru the day.  Tonite you will be treated to a handful of random musings collected in recent weeks...
I have been here now for five weeks.  Every single day has been pretty much the same: 80 degrees plus.  Frequently humid, rarely overcast.  Normal people consider it great weather.  That wouldn't include me.  The sun and I don't get along.  Yet, I've refrained from buying sunscreen.  Why?  I'm cheap.  It's $12-13US for a small bottle of the good mass-market stuff, and it goes up from there!  Apparently, sunscreen is a relatively recent phenomenon.  Even though I began helping to coach track this week, I vow to hold out til rainy season...
Staying in the sunny outdoors, we move to tree-climbing goats.  Read that again.  Tree.  Climbing.  Goats.  I had a student mention this to me last week.  This kid is a sweetheart; but, let's just say I was skeptical.  I won't repeat what I actually did say.  He happened to have his world geography book with him, and in said book there happened to be a photo of an argan tree in Morocco jammed full of goats!  This only happens in Morocco.  Seriously.  Here is a pic:


Not good enuff fer ya?  How about a video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQev3UoGp2M

Read up on what people do with the goat droppings...

I was told ahead of time that in Morocco that frequently 2 guys or 2 girls will be walking along holding hands; this is perfectly normal behavior.  It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with their orientation.  Nonetheless, it was a bit jarring early on to see this.  Same also with the kissing on the cheeks (right first!) by men and women when greeting...
I very recently had my first meal here where I needed a knife and fork.  Twice during the meal I was all flustered trying to pick up my utensils with the correct hands for cutting (you know, for righties: fork/left, knife/right).  Why?  I've only been using my right hand to eat.  Why?  The left hand is not to be used for eating because that hand is dirty - it is reserved for wiping one's backside...
Littering is a little bit of a problem here.  Ask a local why and you will get this casual, French-influenced answer: that is why street cleaners are hired...
Time for bed soon.  Big day tomorrow - getting my first haircut in Morocco.  Could be interesting.  I'm looking so forward to the rooster who gets a huge head start on the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment