Friday, September 14, 2012

"Burning Down The House"

Yup, fun times in the Middle East this week.  Most of you I'm certain have heard about the murder of the U.S. Ambassador to Libya, in addition to breaches of other embassies and other shenanigans throughout the region.  I didn't pay much mind to what was happening.  Soon after I got here, HR gave us info, including something from the U.S. Dept. of State that suggested we (basically) register with the Consulate here in Casa.  Could come in handy down the line.  If something is happening, they'll shoot me an email.  Whatever.  But I did do it.  Went online.  Didn't take long.  Completely forgot about it soonafter.  Open my GMail Wednesday - here is an excerpt (highlights mine):

Media sources have reported protests in the region. Due to the possibility of further protests, the Consulate is closed to the public this afternoon.
The Consulate urges U.S. citizens to avoid large gatherings and non-essential travel in and around the city center this afternoon and to be mindful of potential protest activity in this area in the near future.  Even demonstrations or events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence.  U.S. citizens in Morocco are urged to monitor local news reports and to plan their activities accordingly.
The potential for terrorist violence against U.S. interests and citizens remains elevated in Morocco. It is important for U.S. citizens to be keenly aware of their surroundings and adhere to prudent security practices such as avoiding predictable travel patterns and maintaining a low profile.  Establishments that are readily identifiable with the United States or other Western countries are potential targets for attacks.  These may include facilities where U.S. citizens and other foreigners congregate, including clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, hotels, movie theaters and other public areas. 
The Consulate reminds U.S. citizens to review their personal security plans and remain alert to their surroundings at all times in Morocco.
 
Lovely.  Actually, there really wasn't much to worry about.  Arab Spring barely sprung here, or elsewhere in The Maghreb (roughly, NW Africa).  I wasn't afraid (much).
 
A local staff at the school sent me to his barber last Saturday for my first Moroccan haircut.  He said it might be a little more expensive but worth it.  I took a cab out there, found the place and walked inside.  3 guys, all young.  Hmmm.  I've gone to o-l-d school Italian barbers all my life.  While waiting I watch sports on the TV.  Soccer.  I'm shocked.  Never see that here.  As usual I have no clue what is being said.  I bring this up because it affects me on a DAILY basis.  Usually, I wind up getting by.  Anyway, I sit in the barber chair, and the barber says something I can't understand (yeah, yeah).  I realize he is asking how I want my hair cut.  Uh-oh.  I hadn't thought of this.  I don't know what to say.  I make a couple of simple gestures and pray.
Best.  Barber.  Ever.  Especially for a young guy, he was a wizard with his implements.  Did all the little extras.  Unbelievable.  So, I ask him (in French, by the way) "How much?"  He replies "50" (dirhams).  He said the number in English.  I figure I must've misunderstood.  Can't be 50 dirhams.  I asked again and he answered again the same.  That's less than $6US!  I gave him what I'll bet was the biggest tip off his young career (particularly because the tipping culture really sucks here for those in service industries.  That plus roundtrip cab fare was easily under 15 bucks total.  Nice.  I'm tired.  Tssbeh aala kheir.

2 comments:

  1. Stay safe and that is an amazing deal on a haircut. I feel like I'm getting a good deal here at $19.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if I could find the Polish Cannon and his GF and Dad in Florida with the internet, was there ever a doubt?? Great stories, Jackson! Be safe - hope to catch up when you can.

    ReplyDelete