Friday, October 26, 2012

"Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy"

Well, that's a very nice sentiment (especially if you are the cowboy), but it doesn't do a darn thing for the sheep, does it?  Huh?  You see, today is a an extremely important day for those who practice the Islamic faith.  It is the first and foremost day of the Eid al-Adha religious holiday, which is where the sheep come into play, but we'll get back to them later...

Eid al-Adha commemorates the prophet Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his young, firstborn son Ishmael in obedience to a command from God and also marks the end of the Hajj (pilgrimage) to Mecca.  Abraham had a recurring dream, in which God was commanding him to offer his son as a sacrifice; Abraham decided to fulfill God's command and offer Ishmael for sacrifice.  Abraham could not bear to watch his son die so he covered his eyes by a blindfold. When he cut Ishmael's throat and removed the blindfold, he was astonished to see that Ishmael was unharmed and instead, he found a dead ram which was slaughtered. Abraham had passed the test by his willingness to carry out God's command.

Got that?  The good part is coming...

After the Eid prayer, Muslims sacrifice their best halal (think Kosher) domestic animals (sheep 'round these parts).  The meat from the sacrificed animal is divided into three parts. The family retains one third of the share; another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors; and the other third is given to the poor and needy.

Wait for it...

This week in school, students and local staff educated me, and also told some interesting stories.  I should be store soon for some God-awful smells when the heads are cooked.  All of the children spoke very matter-of-factly about the throat-slitting, respectfully, not immaturely.  Speaking of which, when one of my boys told me of his helping out with the sacrifice, I asked him if he had had ever actually done the deed.  He got a very embarrassed look, then leaned in toward me, away from his classmates, to tell me quietly, in an appropriate manner, that he had to be physically mature to be allowed. You know, like having hair down there.  You can't make up these stories...

Throughout the week, students spoke of having already gotten their sheep.  I saw them in trucks when I went into the city.  Sheep everywhere.  I'm trying to hail a taxi to get home last nite, it's dark.  A van stops.  After my incident with the gypsy cab last week, you'd think I'd know better to get in.  Nah.  2 guys ask me where to, I reply to the American school  just straight down the road.  We're good.  Small commercial van.  Guy driving and passenger next to him.  I'm on bench seat behind them.  Behind me, small area size of tiny crib, where you'd put tools and such.  Or a sheep!  Not until he stirred did I notice the sheep behind the seat, 6 inches away!  Uh, let's move it, fellas!  I couldn't tell if the sheep was incapacitated in any way, but wasn't in the mood to find out.  I got out in one piece.  Better than the sheep fared this morning.

I walked down the hill to a place nearby where I thought I might to see the ritual performed, but no such luck.  Anyway, had no work today and won't on Monday, due to the interpretation of the lunar calendar per the powers-that-be.  No photos this week, thought I'd spare you the blood and gore seen throughout the city today.  Enjoy your entree at dinner tonight :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment